If you aren’t sure about visiting Bratislava, here are some reasons why you should:
- The view from the castle(s) are fantastic. Bratislava Castle looks over the city, and Devin Castle, which I didn’t get a chance to see, looks over the confluence of the Moravia and Danube rivers.
2. The buildings look like they are covered with pastel cake fondant.
3. Churches look like they are straight out of folklore and fairy tales.
4. Public art and quirkiness is everywhere.
5. It wasn’t obscenely packed with tourists and tour groups. Locals are pretty friendly.
6. The architecture is a mix of older, old, communist, and new.
7. There is so much about history and culture to learn.
Take a Be Free Tour to find out more about legends, history, culture, and folklore of Slovakia and Bratislava.
8. The Bratislavians and other Slovaks kicked out communism peacefully.
I don’t have pictures of this, but our guide talked about the Velvet Revolution. Countries didn’t just wait until the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989. They wanted out much, much sooner.
9. There is excellently filling beer and food.
10. Bratislava makes you want to see more of Slovakia.
For me, at least. I’d like to see the mountains and castles outside of the city. Maybe one day I’ll get a chance to do that.